My wormbin is up again! I have no idea how many worms are inside, but I’m sure there are lots of them.

After my first attempt on vermicomposting came to an unfortunate and unexpected end last summer, I discovered that I still had few worms and cocoons scattered over my flower pots. So I tried to restore my worm population.


I thought that they would multiply faster if left in flower pots, with familiar medium and plenty of space. I started by just occasionally burying banana peels in the pots. After a while, I moved a part of soil with remainders of banana peels and lots of little worms into an empty pot, added some food scraps and covered everything with dry leaves, branches and roots from my plants. This happened around April, I guess. Since then, I kept burying banana peels and getting additional bunches of worms from under my plants (not too many, maybe around 20 worms at a time, but they didn’t tend to decline, which makes me think they’re wondering all over the pot, not just staying close to the peels). By May or June the “worm pot” was full, so I moved the content into my bin, which has been idling for one year. In the process I found lots of cocoons, so I didn’t “harvest” any compost, just dumped everything into the bin and added some shredded paper and cardboard. Now I have a usual bin with a decent number of worms in it.


By the way, I went into another experiment — I bought bokashi. Every now and then I come across bokashi on the net, so two days ago I decided to give it a try. I wasn’t going to buy a bokashi bucket, just the powder, so I didn’t care to read about what a bokashi bucket looks like. Later this turned out to be my mistake. I thought: “I know about wormbins. They need moisture and air. Bokashi must be very similar”. I was wrong.

Instead of reading a bit more about bokashi, I just bought a 600 g. bag of bokashi powder, took an empty flower pot (yeah, somehow I always have empty pots), put some food scraps (mainly watermelon rinds, and a piece of tofu — everything very wet) and a layer of bokashi, covered by another drip tray and let it sit. After some thorough reading I realized that wet scraps are not very welcome in bokashi system and that oxygen is just contraindicated. Today, much as expected, my bokashi pot started releasing “juice”, a very smelly liquid. The content of the pot was more or less ok, but before it was too late I interrupted the experiment and dumped everything into the wormbin.


Just like last year, I found some black soldier fly larvae in my worm bin. One thing is that they are quite repelling. I can touch a worm if I have to (say, if I see one outside the bid and have no chopsticks around), but I wouldn’t touch a BSFL. Another thing is that, contrary to what I read about them, I still think they stress my worms. Hopefully, they are a short-term phenomenon and will disappear soon.

Leave a Reply